Your skin is a living, breathing organ and needs care and special treatment if we want to stay looking young and feeling good on the outside. It is the largest organ of your body and it absorbs everything that you put on it.
is a key ingredient which keeps the skin soft and flexible. The skins natural moisturiser is a combination of:
- Extracellular fats.
- Secreted sebum which keeps skin hydrated.
- The 'natural moisturising factor complex' within the skin which chemically combines water.
- This is one reason why it is so important to drink plenty of water on a daily basis and to have a good balance of essential fatty acids because if we are well hydrated on the inside, it shows on the outside.
- Your skin is made up of 2 main layers.
is the most superficial layer, which actually has 4 sub layers.
- The epidermis is very strong, protective and resistant to abrasion.
- It contains a protein called keratin, which thickens, tightens and waterproofs the skin.
- The deepest layer of the epidermis is where new cells are produced and travel upwards and outwards to eventually become the most outer layer of the skin and then sheds off as dead skin cells.
- It can take up to 6-8 weeks to see new skin. So it is important to take note that if you are starting a new skin care regime, it may take this long to see the results as the new plump healthy looking cells come to the surface.
- This of course depends on how fast our individual body produces new skin cells. Some people will see effects much sooner.
is beneath the epidermis.
- Sebaceous glands which lubricate and moisten your skin. The activity of these glands determines your skin type. i.e. overactive = oily/greasy skin, well balanced = normal skin, slow production = dry or mature skin
- Collagen and elastin fibres - these give the skin its ability to stretch and bounce back into shape. Collagen fibres also attract water keeping the skin hydrated.
- Sweat glands
- Blood and lymph capillaries
- Hair follicles
- Nerves and nerve endings
- Soft supple smooth feel
- No areas of excess oiliness or dryness
- Clear appearance
- Most useful essential oils include-but are not limited to:
- German Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Rose, Neroli, Palmarosa, Rosewood, Lavender.
- Most suitable carrier oils include: Sweet almond, Apricot kernel, Jojoba.
Suggested Just Herbal products for your normal skin:
- Our Rich Vitamin Rejuvenation is the most balanced of our moisturisers.
- Conditioning Night Therapy around eyes at night.
- Is dull, lacks surface oil, is dehydrated
- Often flaky and chapped
- Finely textured
- Dry and course to touch
- Tight after washing
- Prone to broken capillaries
- Most useful essential oils include: German Chamomle, Geranium, Lavender, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Neroli, Rose.
- Most useful carrier oils include: Avocado, Wheatgerm, Sweet almond, Apricot, Jojoba, Evening primrose, infused carrot.
Suggested Just Herbal products for your dry skin:
- Almond and Avocado Moisturiser with Lavender is our richest moisturiser but still light on application.
- Conditioning Night Therapy
- Shiny look
- Greasy to touch
- Course grained texture
- Dilated pores
- Susceptible to blackheads, acne, and skin blemishes due to overactive sebaceous glands as excess sebum clogs pores which can develop into acne and blackheads.
- Most useful essential oils include: Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Sandalwood, Bergamot, Geranium, Lemon, Cypress, Juniper.
- Most useful Carrier oils include: Jojoba, Apricot Kernel.
Suggested Just Herbal products for your oily skin:
- Jojoba Skin Balance is our lightest moisturiser great for balancing out oily skin.
- Partly dry / partly oily
- Subject to blackheads and dilated pores in the T-zone of the face.
- Most useful essential oils: Geranium, Palmarosa, Sandalwood, Lavender, Neroli, Ylang Ylang.
- Most useful Carrier oils: Apricot Kernel, Jojoba, Evening primrose.
Suggested Just Herbal products for your combination skin:
- Jojoba Skin Balance may help balance out your combo skin.
- Dry and dull complexion
- Developing wrinkles and lines around the eye, nose and mouth.
- Most useful essential oils: Sandalwood, Lavender, Rosewood, Frankincense, Myrrh, Patchouli (these all stimulate the generation of new cells preserving health and beauty).
- Most useful Carrier oils: Avocado, Jojoba, Wheatgerm, Sweet almond, Evening primrose
- Rosehip, Carrot.
Suggested Just Herbal products for mature skin:
- Rich Vitamin Rejuvenation
- Apricot and Avocado with Lavender
- Conditioning Night Therapy
- Sensitive to many cosmetics (burning sensation), Sensitive to sunlight
- Develop red blotches and broken veins in extreme temperatures
- Dry and fine textured
- If you have sensitive skin you should avoid hard water, harsh soaps and cleansers, alcohol in skin toners, abrasive skin treatments and highly perfumed products.
- Most suitable essential oils include: Lavender, Neroli, Everlasting, Yarrow and German Chamomile - these all have anti-inflammatory qualities.
- (always patch test an essential oil on your skin for several days before use).
- Most suitable Carrier oils include: Apricot kernel, Sweet Almond, Infused Calendula, Evening primrose, Jojoba.
Suggested Just Herbal products for sensitive skin
- Jojoba Skin Balance - please ask for a sample to test first
- Rich Vitamin Rejuvenation - please ask for a sample to test first